Skin is a mirror of your internal environment; both physical, and mental health. A sedentary lifestyle, unhealthy food, and stress can snatch the glow of our skin and make it dull and haggard. When your mind and body are tensed it is going to show up on your face. If your physical and mental well-being is in harmony, your skin will reflect it. Now, most people tend to invest in expensive skincare products to cure acne, and pimples and to keep their skin fresh and glowing. However, you need to take care of your physical and mental well-being if you want your skin to glow from the inside.
Yoga poses are very effective in keeping these two in harmony so that you can achieve that glowing skin.
Let us discuss nine effective yoga asanas for glowing skin.
1. Shoulder stand
- Lie on your back with your arm resting on either side.
- Slowly start raising your legs towards the ceiling.
- Now place your both hands on your lower back to support your back.
- Try to keep your legs straight and bring your chest closer to your chin to avoid any unnecessary strain on your neck and back.
- Stay in the pose for a few minutes or according to your comfort and release.
Shoulder stand or Sarvangasana is the best yoga asana for beautiful and glowing skin. It promotes blood circulation towards your face which further improves the texture and quality of your skin.
2. Standing forward fold
- Stand tall, keeping your back straight and legs hip-width apart.
- Take a deep inhale and as you exhale, bend forward from your upper torso and try to touch the floor.
- If you are a beginner, it is best to bend your knees a little and back straight to avoid any strain on your back.
- Let your head hang and hold the pose for a few seconds and then gently unfold.
Standing forward fold is also known as Uttanasana and is an effective yoga pose for beautiful skin. It is an intense pose that works on your core and improves blood circulation towards your face, which improves your skin complexion.
3. Camel Pose
- Kneel down on your yoga mat with your knees in alignment with your shoulder and soles pointing towards the ceiling.
- Place both hands on your hips.
- Slowly start bending backward and gently slide your arm till it reaches your foot and becomes straight.
- Lift your chest towards the ceiling and hold the pose for a few breaths, then gently unwind.
When it comes to yoga for glowing skin, the camel pose or Ustrasana is a pose to look out for. It promotes blood circulation towards your face and head which makes your skin radiant by removing toxins from the blood. It also helps in relieving menstrual cramps and gives you that flat stomach.
4. Cobra pose
- Lie down on your belly with your palm resting on either side.
- Now place your palm near your head. Take a deep breath and as you exhale, lift your upper torso off the mat.
- Continue to lift until your arms are stretched. Stay in the pose for ten to twelve breaths and return to the starting position.
Cobra pose or Bhujangasana increases oxygenation in the body by opening your chest, which further gives a radiant glow to your skin. It also strengthens your entire back muscles and spine.
5. Ocean breath
- Sit in a Sukhasana (cross-legged position) keeping your spine erect and your palms gently rested on your thighs.
- Keep your eyes closed. Take a deep inhale through your nose and as you exhale gently constrict the back of your throat to create that deep oceanic sound.
- Start with ten to twelve ocean breaths and then further increase it to twenty breaths.
The ocean breathes or Ujjayi Pranayama is an effective yoga for skin glow. This pranayama helps in flushing out the toxins from your body and relaxes your body and mind.
6. Mountain pose
- Stand tall, keeping your back erect and feet hip-width apart.
- Raise your heel off the floor.
- As you go up on your toes, raise your arms over your head as it stretches your chest and shoulder muscles.
- Stay in the pose for ten to fifteen seconds and gently unwind.
Mountain pose or Tadasana focuses on deep and rhythmic breathing which is vital for glowing skin.
7. Plough pose
- Lie on your back with your arms resting on either side.
- As you inhale lift both legs off the floor and then bend them over your head.
- Try to reach for the floor.
- Hold this pose as per your comfort and then gently release.
Plough pose or Halasana improves the blood circulation in the whole body which makes you calm and relaxed. This pose also helps in battling insomnia which is great for your skin; if you are sleep deprived then it is going to show on your skin.
8. Bow pose
- Lie on your belly, keeping your arms resting on either side with your palm facing upward.
- Now bend your knees and lift your legs off the floor.
- Take your arms backward and grab your ankle.
- Stretch your body upwards with your abdomen firmly resting on the mat.
- Stay in the pose for a few seconds and then gently unwind.
Bow pose or Dhanurasana massages your abdominal muscles that improve your digestive system. Your digestive system further helps in the detoxification of the body which is key for healthy glowing skin. It also helps in losing weight and is a great stress buster yoga pose.
9. Fish pose
- Lie down on your yoga mat, keeping your arms on both sides and your chin slightly tucked into the chest.
- Bring your palms underneath your hips for support.
- As you inhale gently lift your upper torso, shoulder, and chest off the floor as you touch the crown of the head gently on the mat.
- Try to place your maximum weight on your hips and forearms. Make sure that your legs are firmly rooted on the mat.
- Keep breathing and hold the pose for thirty seconds and release.
Fish pose or Matsyasana is probably the best yoga for skin glow as it promotes blood circulation towards the head. This bending pose can be easily performed by a beginner and it also helps in curbing bloating and indigestion. Whether it is yoga for beautiful skin or yoga poses for skin whitening; these poses are beneficial for your overall wellbeing. However, if you are feeling discomfort while doing any pose, it is better to stop. Check with your doctor before beginning these poses in case you have any medical conditions.