Every pet owner wants to take their furry friend with them on their trips. But the question is how? Well, there are a few ways. Some people prefer to leave their dog at home and hire a pet sitter. Others choose to take their buddy with them on the trip and deal with the challenges that come with it, like finding pet-friendly hotels, making sure they have enough food and water for the journey, etc. Many of us are not aware of the fact that we can take our buddy with us on the train. Now, you might be wondering how to travel with dog on a train.
Indian Railways are an excellent service for transporting pets to longer distances, as it is safe, affordable, and has laws allowing for the transport of almost all animals. This article will answer all of your questions about train travel with a dog, allowing you to travel in comfort with your pet. After all, every day is an adventure for you and your furry buddy.
For dogs, there are basically two ways in which you can travel by train:
- First class AC
One can carry small or big dogs with them in AC first class or First Class only. And for the convenience it is better to book the whole cabin.
- Brake Van
There is a small cage available in the brake van, where you can put your dog and pay the luggage charge.
Process of booking tickets
- You can either book a coupe (2 berths) or cabin (4 berths) according to your needs. And remember that dogs are strictly prohibited in AC Sleeper Coaches. AC chair car coaches, and second-class coaches. And also note that a maximum of 2 pets are allowed.
- Personally, I think booking the entire cabin is a great choice, as the train rule states that you must remove your dog to dog-box if your co-passenger objects.
- You can buy your tickets online. That way, you can make sure of seats and have them reserved. As it can be frustrating for one to arrive at the station, certain you’ve booked a ticket, and discover you are wrong.
- The most reliable way to confirm seating availability is through the IRCTC, https://www.irctc.co.in/nget/train-search an online railway booking website.
- It is suggested that one has to make a visit to the reservation office prior to the day of traveling. As in case of allotment of coupe (2 seats) you have to give an application to the source station. However, in case of cabin (4 seats) application is not required. However, it would be smart of you if you just get verbal confirmation.
- After the confirmation of your ticket, you have to write an application to the Chief Commercial Officer, stating the reason for traveling with your buddy. As this will make certain that you are allotted a cabin or coupe, not any random berth.
(Do not forgot to mention your PNR number and train name in application)
- Before beginning the journey, it is advisable to arrive at a train station early, so you can visit the parcel/cargo department, where you must pay any fees associated with your pet.
- After that, your dog will be assigned with a tag having its dispatch details. It is one of the most important steps, because, as per train rules, railway authorities can fine one who is carrying not-booked dogs.
After all this process, you are good to go on a memorable journey with your best buddy. Enjoying all the routes together and making new loving memories ” Together Furr-ever”.
Unable to Book A Coupe, Now What?
If in any case you are unable to book Ac First Class, a second option is also available. And the procedure is mentioned below:
- Arrive early at the station and then take your buddy to the boarding station.
- You can then contact the luggage office to book a ticket for your buddy.
- It is advisable to keep all dog-related documents like vaccination certificate, ID proof in hand.
- After that you have to pay the luggage fees, which depends on the size of the dog (RS 10 or above can be charged).
- Get the receipt.
- You have to give the first part of receipt to the guard and keep the other part.
- And then you are good to go.
However, besides the two options, many of us will not choose the second option, because as a responsible pet parent it is our duty to provide comfort to our buddy throughout the journey as their comfort is equally important as ours. And the main purpose of traveling with a dog is to create unforgettable memories “together”.
Traveling with your buddy by train is a great idea since you both get to take many breaks before reaching the destination and it’s also very affordable.
Besides, there are some more points to one has to keep in mind:
- First things first, make sure your dog is fully vaccinated. You will also require your vaccination records, ID card, and fit-to-travel certificate from your veterinarian.
- Always take your buddy out during breaks at every station.
- Do not feed heavy food to your buddy as they are prone to motion sickness.
- Make sure that your buddy has access to water, dog food and tasty treats.
- It would be wise of you if you just take them on a walk before departure, so that they can rest during their journey.
- Carry prescribed medicines for your dog just in case.
For all pet lovers, now, you and your buddy can travel together, wherever you always wished for. Isn’t it amazing to have your best buddy always by your side? You can take a sigh of relief now that you do not have to face the fear of pet separation anymore. The railway system made it possible for us, without costing too much. Now you are all set to travel around, and make some unforgettable memories. Enjoy and have PAW some journey.
Mrs. Richa Khurana has completed her MBA in Marketing from IBS, Pune, Post Graduate Diploma in Business Journalism & Corporate Communication from Delhi University, and her BBA from IP University. Beyond her Read more