Cleaning your floors doesn’t have to involve harsh chemicals and strong odours. In fact, you can achieve sparkling clean floors and a refreshing ambiance using the power of essential oils. These natural extracts offer effective cleaning properties and delightful scents that elevate your cleaning routine. In this article, we’ll delve into the world of essential oils for cleaning floors, providing you with easy and eco-friendly DIY recipes to create your own aromatherapy cleaning blends.
Why Choose Essential Oils for Floor Cleaning?
Essential oils are derived from plants and contain concentrated compounds that possess various cleaning and therapeutic properties. When used in floor cleaning, they not only remove dirt and grime but also infuse your home with pleasant scents that promote relaxation and well-being.
Benefits of DIY Essential Oil Floor Cleaners
Cleaning with oil comes with its own set of benefits. To start with, we have mentioned a few of them here.
1. Non-Toxic Cleaning
One of the most significant advantages of using essential oils for floor cleaning is that they are non-toxic and eco-friendly. You can clean your floors without exposing your family to harsh chemicals, making it a safer option, especially for households with children and pets.
2. Aromatherapy Benefits
Essential oils offer aromatherapy benefits that can positively impact your mood and emotions. As you clean your floors, the gentle aroma of these oils can help reduce stress, boost your energy, and create a more uplifting atmosphere in your home.
3. Effective Cleaning Properties
Don’t let the pleasant scents fool you—essential oils are potent cleaners. Many essential oils, such as lemon, tea tree, and lavender, possess antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that effectively combat germs and bacteria on your floors.
Top Essential Oils for Aromatherapy Floor Cleaning
1. Lemon Oil
Lemon oil is a versatile and invigorating essential oil that not only cleans but also leaves a fresh and uplifting scent. Its natural acidity helps break down grease and grime, making it an excellent choice for various types of flooring.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is renowned for its powerful antimicrobial properties. It’s particularly effective at disinfecting and combating mould and mildew, making it a fantastic option for bathrooms and other damp areas. It can be a great essential oil for cleaning hardwood floors.
3. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil’s soothing and calming aroma makes it a popular choice for aromatherapy cleaning. It has mild antibacterial properties and adds a touch of relaxation to your cleaning routine. It can also be used as essential oil for cleaning laminate floors.
4. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil, extracted from the leaves of the eucalyptus tree, has been cherished for centuries for its myriad of benefits. Among its notable attributes, its antimicrobial prowess stands out, making it an excellent candidate for enhancing your floor cleaning routine. This essential oil can be used for cleaning wooden floors.
DIY Essential Oil Floor Cleaner Recipes
Before we dive into essential oil cleaning spray recipes let’s understand how and where to use them.
You simply need to spray the floor cleaner onto your floor (tile, linoleum, laminate, etc.) and then mop or wipe with a damp cloth or mop.
You should avoid using these mixtures on hardwood floors or surfaces that are sensitive to moisture. It’s always a good idea to do a patch test on a small, inconspicuous area before using any homemade cleaner on a larger surface. Now let’s uncover the DIY recipes:
1. Energising Citrus Blend Cleaner
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 5 drops orange essential oil
- 5 drops grapefruit essential oil
- In a spray bottle, combine the distilled water and white vinegar.
- Add the drops of lemon, orange, and grapefruit essential oils.
- Your homemade cleaning spray with essential oils is ready.
- Shake well before each use.
- Spray the mixture onto your floor and wipe clean with a mop or cloth.
2. Tranquil Lavender Blend Cleaner
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops chamomile essential oil(optional)
- Mix the distilled water and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.
- Add the lavender and chamomile essential oils.
- Shake well to blend the ingredients.
- Spray onto your floor and gently clean with a mop or cloth.
3. Tea – Tree and Eucalyptus Sparkling Solution
- 2 cups water (preferably distilled)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- 10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- Start by mixing the water and white vinegar in a clean spray bottle.
- Add the tea tree essential oil and eucalyptus essential oil to the mixture.
- Close the spray bottle and shake well to ensure all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Before each use, give the bottle a gentle shake to make sure the oils are evenly distributed.
- Enjoy the natural, refreshing aroma of tea tree and eucalyptus oils as you clean your floors!
Remember to label your homemade cleaner with its ingredients and store it in a cool, dark place to prolong its shelf life. As with any cleaning product, keep it out of reach of children and pets.
How to Use Essential Oil Floor Cleaners
Preparation and Application
To use your DIY essential oil floor cleaner, follow these steps:
- Sweep or vacuum the floor to remove loose dirt and debris.
- Shake your chosen essential oil cleaner to ensure the ingredients are well mixed.
- Spray a small section of the floor with the cleaner and mop or wipe it clean.
- Continue this process until you’ve cleaned the entire floor surface.
- Always test a small, inconspicuous area of your floor before using a new essential oil cleaner to ensure compatibility.
- Keep essential oils out of reach of children and pets.
- Ensure proper ventilation while cleaning to prevent inhaling excessive amounts of essential oil vapour.
Discover the world of natural and aromatic floor cleaning with essential oils. These DIY recipes not only provide effective cleaning solutions but also enhance your home with delightful scents that promote well-being. Embrace the power of essential oils and transform your cleaning routine into a fragrant and therapeutic experience.
Q. Are these cleaners as effective as commercial cleaners in antimicrobial action?
Ans. Yes! Most of the essential oils used here have proven antimicrobial properties which helps in eliminating harmful bacteria and other microbes.
Q: Can I use essential oils on all types of floors, including hardwood and laminate?
Ans. Yes, you can use essential oils on different types of floors. However, it’s important to dilute them properly and avoid excessive moisture, especially on hardwood and laminate floors. Test a small area first to ensure compatibility.
Q: How do essential oils contribute to aromatherapy during floor cleaning?
Ans. Essential oils release pleasant scents when used in cleaning solutions. As you clean, the aroma fills the air, promoting relaxation, stress relief, and a positive mood—transforming your cleaning routine into an aromatic experience.
Q: Are there any safety precautions I should take when using essential oils for cleaning?
Ans. Absolutely. Essential oils are potent and should be used with care. Always follow recommended dilution ratios, keep them out of reach of children and pets, and ensure proper ventilation while cleaning to avoid inhaling excessive vapours.
Q: Can essential oils replace commercial floor cleaning products?
Ans. Yes, essential oils can serve as natural alternatives to commercial cleaners. They offer effective cleaning properties and the added bonus of aromatherapy benefits. However, for stubborn stains or specific issues, you may need specialised cleaning products occasionally.